Friday, January 30, 2009

Where do I begin?

Liam was upset with Finn this evening for several reasons. Finn had apparently told Liam that he was not in kindergarten, was allergic to soy milk, and that Eve was not a girl.

After reminding Liam that he was in kindergarten and was not allergic to soy milk, and reminding Finn not to deliberately aggravate Liam, I tackled the Eve question.

I assured them that Eve was a girl, and then began, "Do you know the story of Eve?" Liam said yes, but Finn was silent, so I began. "The story goes that a long, long time ago . . ."

Liam interrupted quickly, and told me that he was actually talking about Eve in the movie Wall-E. Oh. But he would like me to continue the story I had started anyway. So, with even greater hesitance, I did. I explained how the world had animals and plants, but no people, and so God made Adam in his image. But Adam got lonely, and so God made Eve for him.

Liam found this interesting, thought about it for a moment, and then said, "That's just like Narnia!"

Um, yes. Then he added that Adam and Eve were kind of like Mama and Daddy. Um, yes, kind of, and they even had two boys. Liam was interested in the two brothers, and I had to field questions about fraternal jealousy, when *ding* the oven time went off, the pizza was ready, and I was off the hook. Saved by the bell!

No comments: